Here's the latest posting from my other blog ...

Monday, March 29, 2010

moving but not

This is a close up of the badge on my motorcycle. I was shooting reflections off the paint when I got this idea: shoot the badge in focus with the aperture wide open and see what happens. Let me know your thoughts.

The light color lines to the very right are the fins in the cylinder head. As you move left, you can see where they change directions. This is where the fins are reflecting off the paint. The lines seem to bring motion to the photo.


Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM lens
Exposure 1/320 sec @ f1.4
ISO 100
Curves adjusted for contrast

6 comments:

James said...

Very cool. It almost seems like the badge is going to get sucked in to a vacuum.

cieldequimper said...

Very impressed. I wouldn't mind driving it either!

Jack Riepe said...

Dear Wayne:

Because my blog is supposed to be about motorcycling 24/7, I have not been able to focus on some of the specialty photography work that you do. It has left me feeling badly as you are one of Twisted Roasds more persistent readers.

So today, I created my "Alternate Destinations," and was proud to showcase your Photoblog. I had been threatening this, and finally did so.

Today's presentation on your Photoblog struck me a bit differently from the manner in which you intended. Because the marque badge is clearly defined, it becomes the primary focus of the image, as far as I'm concerned. So any of the movement in the picture is flowing away from the badge, as I see it.

Therefore: BMW is the source of blurring speed.

Fondest regards,
Jack • reep • Toad
Twisted Roads

Marka said...

I like it! The depth of field is great!

Rebecca said...

Agree with the others. I love the DOF and the feeling of movement it creates.

Renee said...

Neat stuff. I love the DOF wide open like that.