Here's the latest posting from my other blog ...

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

They're back!

They're back!  After much anticipation, the swallowtail caterpillars are back.  We haven't seen any adults flying around, but obviously they've visited. 

These were all shot the evening of 29-June and most used a flash because I shot them around 9PM. 

This guy (or gal) was munching on some baby parsley.  He's about 1.25" (~3cm) long, so he's been here for a while. It's safely in a container in out kitchen for the next few weeks being pampered.

We have milkweed growing to attract  Monarch butterfly's, but none yet. 

Update 30-June - good thing I took the time to photograph the eggs.  Today, they had all hatched!

Canon EF 100mm f2.8 USM Macro lens
Exposure 0.8 sec @ f7.1
ISO 800
aperture priority
Curves adjusted for contrast

Here's a first.  A baby caterpillar just outside their egg.  Pretty cool, eh?  You can see how it ate a hole in the shell to get out. 

Canon EF 100mm f2.8 USM Macro lens
Exposure 4.0 sec @ f4.0
ISO 400
aperture priority
Curves adjusted for contrast

Here's a shot of an egg next to a ruler to give you perspective.  The markings are 1/16", so it's probably 1/32" (0.08cm) in diameter!  We counted at least 6 eggs. 


Canon EF 100mm f2.8 USM Macro lens
Exposure 25.0 sec @ f9.0
ISO 800
aperture priority
Curves adjusted for contrast

7 comments:

cieldequimper said...

I'm amazed at those two eggy shots!
The first one is absolutely gorgeous, there are so few butterflies around these days...

lodolite said...

fantastico! molto molto interessante.
ciao simona

Suburban Girl said...

Oh that's great. I had that hairy caterpillar...but he was going to become a moth of little interest. So I put him outside. Can't wait to see the progression to butterfly.

Cezar and Léia said...

ohmigod, awesome macro!Wonderful pictures and I'm enchanted here!
Léia

Clytie said...

Stunning! Did you notice in that first out of the egg shot ... the hole in the egg is shaped like a heart? That's got to be the tiniest heart I've ever seen!

Marka said...

Great photographs! I especially like the first one of the caterpillar munching away. Cheers!

Beth Niquette said...

Sissy told me about this one when I spoke to her on the phone the other day--truly exquisite, simply amazing.

This just fills my eyes! Which is the greatest compliment I can give.

Happy Guest Heart Thursday!